I am passionate about Education, Boise, and Learning.
- Both my Wife and I graduated from Boise Schools
- My Mother was a Boise Schools Teacher for 15 years
- Three Children currently in the Boise Schools and one Graduate
- President of Idaho Candy Company and Managing Partner of Wagers Properties LLC
Skills that enable me to be an excellent Trustee
- Business Management – I am the president (for the past 17 years) of Idaho Candy Company, a 116 year old Boise based company. I oversee all aspects of our operations including accounting, sales, marketing, product development, engineering and management.
- Financial Knowledge – I have a degree in finance from the University of Idaho. I worked for Electronic Data Systems in their Accounting Financial Development program, earned the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) designation and was a cost analyst before joining Idaho Candy Company. I have been treasurer for various non-profit organizations and served on the finance committee for Anser Charter School.
- Community Connections & Board Service – I have lived in Boise almost all of my life and have been active in the community in many organizations. Boise Sunrise Rotary, Young Presidents Organization, Leadership Boise, Boise Chamber of Commerce, Boise Schools Education Foundation, Idaho Business for Education, Boy Scouts, Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Buy Idaho are a few of the organizations in which I have participated. My wife and I are also former foster parents and current adoptive parents. This community involvement has given me many personal relationships to draw upon when I need additional information and could benefit from other’s experiences. I have a good knowledge of boards and how they operate. I have been president and vice president of Anser Charter School, Boise Sunrise Rotary, Boise High Lacrosse, and Buy Idaho. I was treasurer of Young Presidents Organization, Boy Scout Troop 100, and Gold Fork Homeowners Association.
- School Board Experience – I have served on the Boise School District Board for the past year and a half after being appointed by the board from a group of 15 highly qualified applicants. I served for eight years on the Anser Charter School Board holding positions of Governance Committee Chair (four years), Vice President (one year), and President (two years). In these positions I have learned how public schools operate, how to work together with administration, teachers and parents to best educate students. At Anser we acquired a new building, grew student population by 40% and became a nationally recognized Expeditionary Learning school while I served on the board.
- Property Development and Management – Part of operating a school district means overseeing and managing the development of facilities and properties. I manage our family property partnership consisting of 7 commercial properties which range in size from 3,000 sq. ft. to 36,000 sq. ft. in size. This experience has been beneficial for me as a member of the BSD facilities committee in helping to manage the BSD’s many facilities and properties.
- Desire to Continue Learning – I have a passion to continue to learn new things and be involved in my community. I have learned much as a successful Boise School District Trustee and I welcome the opportunity to continue to meet and learn from a group of dedicated, passionate people.